In South Africa, you can register to vote in your area online or at your local IEC office or online.
How To register online:
Go to the Voter Information Portal: https://registertovote.elections.org.za/
Click on “Register to Vote” and follow the instructions.
You will need to provide your personal details, including your ID number, address, and contact information.
You will also need to upload a clear photo of your ID document.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email.
To register to vote at your local IEC office:
- Find your nearest IEC office: https://www.elections.org.za/pw/About-Us/Contact-IEC-South-Africa
- Take your green bar-coded ID book, smartcard ID, or valid Temporary Identity Certificate (TIC) with you.
- Complete the registration form and have your ID scanned.
- You will receive a barcoded sticker or receipt. Please note that this does not mean that you are registered, it only means that you have applied for registration. Your application must still be processed (may take up to 7 working days).
To register to vote in South Africa, you must:
- Be a South African citizen
- Be at least 16 years old (you can only vote from age 18)
- Have a green bar-coded ID book, smartcard ID, or valid Temporary Identity Certificate (TIC)
If you have any questions about voter registration, please contact the IEC contact centre on 0800 11 8000.